Saturday, June 13, 2009

Pittsburgh Penguins Claim Stanley Cup

Yes, the tuxedo trimed birds claimed the Stanley Cup on a foreign ice flow, winning the famed 7th game in rival Detroit's Joe Louis Arena. The Pittsburgh Penguins: you have to like a bird that dresses for dinner. How can you not want them to succeed? Didn't you see March of the Penguins?

Stanley Cup Finals; 7th Game; down to the wire: what all hockey players use as a backdrop for street hockey (shinny for you purists) games to build drama.

But the drama is something that most people never experience. I've of course never experienced Stanley Cup success, except for when it came through town a few years ago and was able to visit, touch the names and marvel at its presence. As a long time, but quite "previous" hockey player, I get a chill when I see the cup and experienced a thrill when I got to touch it.

But this accomplishment begs a question: if you have achieved a "championship" in any fashion, do you re-connect to that time when you see a team or individual achieve that milestone? Do you (at least temporarily) live vicariously through them? As someone who has experienced several championships in my youth as a hockey player, I can attest to the fact that there are not may other feelings quite as fulfilling.

What's your experience? Have you achieved "championship" status in any endevor? Was it individual or a team accomplishment? Do you relive it with the same passion when you see current teams do the same?

I need to know if I'm the execption, or the rule.

Thanks,

Dave

1 comment:

John said...

I've been thinking about whether I'd ever won a championship. I was just about to give up when I remembered that I won the Class C intramural horseshoe throwing championship while I was is college. Class C was for novices; those who hadn't completed before and basically didn't know the rules. I won by default. Nobody else signed up for Class C. It wasn't quite the thrill you would expect.