Friday, June 12, 2009

781 - School Board Farewell Message

After eight years on the Gresham-Barlow School Board, I have finally elected to retire. A difficult decision, but one that is right for me. While it is time to move on, I will deeply miss the work, the kids, and my colleagues.

Last night was the final formal business meeting, of which I have had the honor to lead for the last two years as Board Chair. Kind words, gifts and an occasional "jab" made for an excellent send-off. Knowing there would be an opportunity for some final remarks, I knew the only way I would get through them emotionally was to write them down. I'm glad I did, because I barely held it together while I read them. I share them with you here in hopes that some of my perspectives may resonate with you.

Best regards,

Dave


Gresham-Barlow School Board
Farewell Message
June 11, 2009

There is something about the magic of this District that I’m sure all of us inherently feel to some degree, but that I have had a difficult time truly understanding until just recently. I’d like to share with you how that perspective has finally come into focus.

Over the past six months, I have seen at my employer, a number of long-time friends and colleagues retire. While my retirement is still a few years out, it is being on this precipice of a significant change in my professional life that has allowed me to relate it to my work in Gresham-Barlow School District.

This has caused me to observe many similarities between our home lives and our professional and civic activities. For example:

  • We are frequently working hard to live within our means
  • We often pack our schedules full in an attempt to do it all
  • We are sometimes dysfunctional (and you know who your are!)
  • We take what we do very seriously, but try to have fun doing it
  • We care about each other
  • We do it all for our kids
  • We are a family

Speaking of family, I want to take this opportunity to thank them for giving up 8 years of Thursday nights. Especially my very patient and supportive wife, Margaret. Without her support, I would not have been able to focus on the work at hand.

It has been a pleasure and an honor to be a part of this wonderful family over the last eight years. It is not uncommon for people in my circumstance to announce that they have benefitted exponentially more than they have contributed, but it is so true.

  • How many people can say that they have worn dorky hats to read Dr. Seuss books to Kindergartners?
  • And at the other end of the educational spectrum, how many people can say that they have been afforded the honor of handing out high school diplomas and shaking the hands of our graduating seniors?
  • How many of those can say they got to hand them to their own children?

As I’ve already discussed with the Superintendent, I hope to be involved with some projects going forward, so I am excited about getting to work with you again, only in a different capacity. Until then, I’ll leave you with a few thoughts:

  • To students: continue making us proud
  • To staff: continue doing the right things for our kids
  • To Cabinet: continue creating opportunities for teachers to succeed
  • To the Superintendent: continue being the leader that you are
  • To Board Members: continue balancing the here and now, with the distant future
I wish all of you the best, both professionally and personally for the future.

Thank you.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Aw. Enjoy what sounds like a well-deserved break from a lot of work. :)

John said...

I have always admired your dedicated public service. Thank you.