Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Energication for Renewable Energy Education

The New Blogged Word has been my tool for "casual blogging." Items of more general interest live here, while topics about what I'm learning about blogging reside at The Ultimate Blogging Toolkit. These will continue to be a places to share my perspectives, but I also want to share the result of two other passions: renewable energy and education.

First, education.

For the last eight years, I've been a school board member. A lot of work, but a very rewarding experience.

Now, renewable energy.

As a self-proclaimed solar geek, I'm always looking for innovative and successful uses of solar technology. Taking a page from the school district's math initiative, I put two and two together - and got Energication.

The combination of Renewable Energy and Education, "Energication" is my latest project bringing information of value to educators about renewable energy curriculum. My hope is that it will become a central topic in all schools across our nation. For now, I'm just happy our local district is interested in pursuing the concept.

Renewable energy is our future. Electricity will be the currency of that future. Through Energication and speaking in person to any school who will listen, I am looking forward to helping our students have some "spending money" when they get to the future.

The first effort is to pursue a working solar system and related curriculum through a grant application. You can read more about it on the site.

Dave

No comments: