Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Sports Tradition, Superstition, and Habit

Wimbledon
Carl Del Souza/AFP/Getty Images

Wimbledon is probably the most storied and tradition-filled institution in the world of sports. The players, the plays, even the weather have played a major role in creating the aura that surrounds the annual event.

The weather is what is causing the latest stir as it relates to the first-ever retractable roof over Center Court. Countless matches have been delayed or postponed over the years, but weather delays look to be no longer served up. Thanks to a 1,000 ton retractable cover with translucent canvas. As you can imagine, purists aren't pleased.

It appears that even Wimbledon struggles with change. How do you approach your sport? Whether you are a pro, avid amateur, or week-end warrior, everyone has their own traditions, superstitions, and habits. Aspects of our game that must stay the same. But which are they and where do the lines blur between them?

As a hockey player back in the day, I had a very specific way in which put on my gear, stretched, warmed up and took practice shots (I was a goalie.) If you were to ask me then, I'd say, "Well, it's a logical series of steps to prepare for the game." Bull. It was all superstition, with maybe a bit of habit thrown in. The only tradition involved was the fact that I did it that way (habitual superstition) for a long time!

What about you? What quirky... er... I mean... interesting rituals do you practice before any sort of sporting participation?

- Do you wear the same socks when you play tennis because they feel the best, or is there a bit of superstition involved?

- At the golf course, do you hit a bucket of balls before your round to "warm up" or is it more traditional for you?

- When you go for a run, do you listen to the same kind of music each time because it puts you "in the groove" or are you simply a creature of habit?

It's OK to come clean. This is a (relatively) anonymous forum.

Dave

2 comments:

John said...

OK Dave, I shouldn't tell you this because we play tennis together. I have a problem serving if I don't have all three tennis balls on my side of the net. If you want me to lose, hide a ball in your pocket during my serve. Now you know.

This stems from my early days when I couldn't afford to buy new tennis balls all the time. If I lost a ball I knew I would have to mow another lawn to get enough money to buy a new can of tennis balls.

Dave said...

John,

Your secret's safe with me... NOT!

Are we playing Saturday? It might be dry.

Dave