Saturday, May 30, 2009

803 - Transitions

Retirement is all about transition - at least a successful one - from one speed to another.  Usually that means from an all out, full speed ahead, with all the caffiene possible velocity, to one that is, well, not so much.  Over the last few months, a number of long time friends and colleagues have been retiring and it has caused me to resurrect my Retirement Countdown topic.

For those of you who weren't a part of the original series, this began as a result of an accidental discovery that I had (at the time) 2185 days left until I was eligible to retire.  Now with just 803 days left until I turn 55, it has simultaneously been a quick journey to this point and one that seems to have taken an eternity.

But, back to transition.  Over the years, I've seen many of my friends who have made the successful transition from work to play, have done so by planning well in advance for their new environment.  The ones who struggled, didn't plan and didn't know what they were going to do after leaving Day 1, finishing Day 0, then beginning Day +1.  They simply drifted.

But planning is the name of the game.  It takes effort to shift gears and planning is the way to effect that change.  As I've mentioned before, I very much enjoy what I do for a living, so I may not necessarily be in a hurry to change that.  However, planning is the key and plans can change. Better to have a plan and change it, than... we'll you get the picture.  After 32+ years, it may be time to do something else - something at a different speed.  But what?

As 803 quickly diminishes and Day 0 comes onto the horizon, my planning will begin to get more assertive - starting with today.  My first task is to ask you:
  1. If you are retired, how did you plan for your transition?  Did you do it alone or did you have help?  Did you have a lifelone hobby that was screaming to escape, or did you have to find something to fill your time?
  2. If you are not yet retired, how are you planning for your eventual transition?  What resources are you using for assistance?  Do you feel like it's working or do you need to try another strategy?
Blogging is all about exchanging ideas - that's how we learn and grow.  Let's exchange some ideas on the best ways to transition from fast to slower.

Thanks,

Dave

2 comments:

John said...

You asked and here are my answers:

1. If you are retired, how did you plan for your transition?

I believe I started planning for retirement when I was in the first grade. I remember hearing the story of the grasshopper and the ant. In that story, the grasshopper does nothing to provide for his future, while the ant stores up food for the winter.

Saving for the future was ingrained into me from an early age. My parents always insisted that some of the money I earned or was given be saved for college. It worked. When it came time for me to start college, I had saved enough to pay for almost all of my education.

When I began my career, I was paid twice a month. I put one paycheck in savings and lived on the other for nearly three years. Therefore when I got married I was able to buy a house with a substantial down payment.

The company I where I was employed adopted an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). From the beginning, I contributed to the plan. Of course over the years this was converted to a 401(k) plan.

2. Did you do it alone or did you have help?

In a way this is a funny question. I went into retirement kicking and screaming. Another company acquired the company where I was employed for most of my life and retirement came several years earlier than I wanted. So the answer to this question is, yes, I had help. It was just not the kind of help I wanted.

3. Did you have a lifelong hobby that was screaming to escape, or did you have to find something to fill your time?

While I was working, I was a member of several organizations related to my field of employment. Through these associations, I made many friends and developed a network of people who knew me. When I retired, I was flattered that some of these people called seeking my assistance in one-way or another. It gives me a chance to keep current in a field of work that I enjoy and because of the type of work that I do I can work from home.

In addition, I tried several volunteer activities. While all were worthy organizations, I never felt my abilities were being used in the best way. Perhaps I don’t have the compassion necessary to serve others directly. Behind the scenes work fits me better. I am still looking for that perfect fit. If anyone has any thoughts of what volunteer services might work for me, I would be happy to hear about them.

Final thought. One of my former retired colleagues once told me, he said he gets up in the morning with nothing to do and goes to bed at night without having accomplished half of it. Something always comes up.

Dave said...

John,

What a great story. Thanks for sharing. A lesson for all of us: plan early, plan for surprises, and plan to help others.

Dave