Sunday, November 23, 2008

Starbucks at Gresham Safeway

It's often said that it's one thing that brings you in to a merchant, but it is something else (sometimes many things) that keeps you coming back.

I'm a frequent flier, so I have the affinity program gene.  If I can get points or some sort of credit for a purchase, I will.  Tying my United Airlines Mileage Plus program to my Safeway Club Card made a lot of sense to maximize the benefits of my daily Starbucks fix.  Sure, Starbucks has their own program now, but I don't want to pay $25 per year for a Starbucks Gold Card.  So, Safeway it is.

If my need for "loyal customer" points brought me in (way back when), it is the service that keeps me coming back.  Two stories are needed to explain why.  First, Jalyssa.

When my wife Margaret noticed a particular mug style being sold on the retail shelves, and we did not snatch them up at the time, Jalyssa came to the rescue.  When we finally decided to buy them, they were of course, gone.  On one of my regular morning visits, I asked if they had any "in the back."  Nope.  Jalyssa and I kept our eyes peeled for new ones if they came in.  Very much like Costco - you just never know what comes through the retail channel.

After some time passed, Jalyssa took it upon herself to shop the Sandy, OR store and found them!  Not only did she find them, she bought them with her own money.  My next morning visit found Jalyssa handing over the prize.  Not only did I reimburse her, but I crafted a letter to Starbucks letting them know the "over the top" service received.

There are two ways in which I appreciate and respond to service.  One is in going far above and beyond basic responsibilities.  The other is the day in and day out, steady, trusted, and now anticipated "attitude."  Most times, "attitude" is connoted negatively.  Here, "attitude" is a sense of pleasant demeanor, compentence and energy.  Enter Angela.

When Angela arrived some time ago, I could tell she was different than the rest of the people who are sometimes there for only a short time.  (You either get it or you don't.)  She got it.  Soon, she was training others.  Then, she became the assistant manager.

When you take care of customers - and train your employees to do the same - a culture of customer appreciation - and appreciative customers - develops.  Sure, there isn't the Starbucks "ambiance" there that comes with a regular store with couches, chairs and cool music, but my Safeway Starbucks has all the comfort that should come with a $3.00+ cup of coffee.  Angela simply packages it differently.

No comments: