Monday, November 3, 2008

Gresham Shoe Repair

At the risk of fragmenting my blog topics too far, I've decided to start a new one related to merchants who have provided me with outstanding service, a terrific bargain, or simply a satisfying experience.  In a word: Memorable.

If you're anything like me, once you find that perfect place, you simply don't want to let go.  In fact, you tell all your friends in hopes of more business pouring in, thereby ensuring a long, successful venture.  But first a story. (You really didn't think you'd get away without one, did you?!?!?!)

Some time ago, I had become quite pleased with my shoe repair shopkeeper.  Dress shoes (men's and women's) are not cheap.  As a result, finding a good "carer and repairer" is critical to protecting that investment.  I had found just that person.  But one day, that changed.

On my next visit, there was someone new and with that new person came a whole change in the shop's persona.  When asked, he simply said, "new owner."  Nuff said.  That's the bad news.  I stayed away for quite a while, disappointed in the fact that my perfect shoe doctor had sold the shop and moved on.  I found another shop, but at best, they were adequate (barely.)

One day, I had the need for new heel taps and decided Mr. "New Owner" couldn't screw things up and I could deal with him for a 10 minute maintenance stop.  Now, the good news:  he was back.  It took me a minute to shift gears, but I finally asked him what had happened.  Politely, he said that when payments aren't made, ownership reverts.  I told him I was sorry it didn't work out, but that I was thrilled he was back.

Gresham has indeed regained a Memorable Merchant.  Do yourself a favor: protect your leather investment.  Do me a favor and contribute to a long, successful venture.

No comments: