Sunday, November 9, 2008

995 - A Significant Move into a"3-digit" World

This whole Retirement Countdown exercise has been an interesting look into the path leading to what I call Career 2.0 and all that that implies.  The countdown to something called retirement is truly a journey and not a destination.  The 2.0 part of this simply indicates the expectation of the next chapter - whatever that will be and whenever it will happen.  Until now, it has been somewhat virtual - a journey starting at 2185 days away - much too far to seem very real.

That seems to be changing with a 3-digit countdown.

995 days seems like a significantly shorter time than the 1038 of the last post on the topic, but it is just more than one month difference.  By focusing more on the Bathroom Remodel recently, I've lost a bit of perspective toward the countdown.  995 is causing a sobering realization that time seems to be accelerating.  Even a short period of taking my eye off the ball can cause a dramatic fielding error.

So what does that mean?  Initially, it means, "pay attention!"  The pace at which life is moving and as it continues to accelerate means that nothing is to be taken for granted.  Be present.  Enjoy each and every moment.  There are only a finite number of them, and there isn't a second chance.  It's ironic that in 1123 - A Dubious Milestone, I reflect more on healthy habits than on appreciating the present.  Each one is important, but an oversight for sure.  I'm just grateful that a silly retirement countdown exercise reminded me to smell those roses.

But beyond that, I'm finding that I don't sweat some of the small things that I used to fret over.  In other situations, I'm more passionate and defensive about issues than I ever used to be.  As stimuli change, I suspect, so do perspectives.

995 has performed better than any hotel wake-up call could.  It has caused me to awaken in ways I've never previously experienced, but more importantly, it has caused me to pay closer attention to frame after individual frame of life's movie - one for which there is no sequel.

No comments: