Saturday, October 25, 2008

1059: Starting a Streak at Two in a Row

For you eagle-eyed readers, you'll quickly see that I am now making my second post in two days.  Wow! That will sure make my blog hit the first page on Google results!

In 1123: A Dubious MilestoneI referenced five broken ribs and a punctured lung in the context of never really having any serious health problems... er... ah... except for being clumbsy.   For the blog record, that was day 1857.  Now that I've opened the door, I'd better dance on the threshhold:
  • Playing tennis
  • On a dead run
  • Going for a backhand
  • Ran too far; ran too hard
  • Went down on the hardsurface
Yes, five ribs and a hole in my lung.  It's worse than that: I lost the point AND had to forfeit the match since my buddies took me to the hospital.  The best line came from the trauma center doctor when he saw me shuffling around the nurses station on day two.  "Tennis, huh?  I play tennis.  I don't know if I want to play you, or get the hell out of your way..."  It hurt to laugh.

The purpose of sharing less-than-flattering family photos is the "flashback" sort of perspectives this blog project is causing.  No, not those kinds of flashbacks, it is causing me to remember events at different times and in different ways.  Then, deciding just how to share those thoughts.  Over two years ago, I was in the best shape in 20 years - then in an instant - practically immobile for nearly two months.  And in that instant, I realized that I wasn't so bulletproof after all.  Very sobering.

So here I am again, looking at a strategy with a very different perspective:  I'm fortunate that I don't have to rehabilitate per se, but the challenge seems even greater.  Now, it's not as much suppressing a sneeze for 6 weeks while bones heal, as it is calculating how hard to press without pressing the heart too much.   Yesterday's post was about the cardiologist taking charge and defining the sandbox in which I can play: tennis, golf, powerwalking (no running.)  It is now my turn to take charge and devise a way to maximize my training effects while minimizing any additional x-rays.

Creative, healthy, low impact training:  What's your strategies?

Again, below are three comments that did not carry over to The Blogged Word:

3 comments:

Dan from Madison said...

Heh, that X-ray is ugly.

I can't really relate to your exercise needs because I am only 39 and am pushing my body at this moment to do insane things. But I do a lot of long distance cycling.

How about buying a bike? Cycling is very low impact (as long as you are on streets and paths), and is fun and relaxing. You don't have to do centuries on big hills like me, even 10 miles can be pleasant.

One recommendation though - if you decide to pick it up, do it right - go to a GOOD bike shop and spend the extra $$ and get fitted for your bike. If you ever get the fever and want to go extra distances this will minimize any aches and pains.


Weed said...

Dan, thanks for the advice. Since running is out, I've actually thought about a bike as a fun replacement - and a lot easier on this 52 year old body.

Keep up the exercise. At 39, you're far ahead of me in that I didn't start paying close attention until much later. Hindsight is 2020.

The other part that you can do for yourself is to get your cholesterol checked. I went years without paying attention, now I'm paying a bit of a price.

Thanks for the encouragement. If I can get my wife interested, maybe that bike will turn out to be "for two."

Regards,

Dave

No comments: